1. At what age did you begin playing volleyball and what do you love most about playing?
SM: I began playing volleyball when I was in 7th grade and 12 years old. Volleyball is one of the most team-oriented sports out there. My favorite part about playing volleyball is building relationships with my teammates and coaches, and then being able to all compete together!
2. Why did you choose Virginia Tech?
SM: When I visited Virginia Tech for the first time, I fell in love with the beautiful campus. I chose to play here because the school gave me an opportunity to compete in a Power 5 conference while also challenging me academically.
3. What are you most excited for as you head into your first season as a Hokie?
SM: As I head into my freshman year, I’m most excited to be a part of a team in the ACC. I cannot wait to be coached by Coach Byers and compete alongside my teammates.
4. What position do you play and how did you begin playing that position?
SM: I am a pin hitter. My first year playing, I was a middle. When I switched clubs in 8th grade, they changed my position to a pin hitter which I have been ever since.
5. What is your major and why did you choose it?
SM: I am currently majoring in Aerospace Engineering. As a kid, I always wanted to work for NASA, and as I grew up, I started to consider the career more seriously. In high school, I found myself gravitating toward science and math classes. The Virginia Tech engineering program is top notch, which made my decision to come here even easier!
6. Describe yourself in three words
SM: The three words I would use to describe myself are hard-working, loyal and trustworthy.
7. What is your favorite place to eat at in Blacksburg so far?
SM: So far, my favorite place to eat in Blacksburg is The Cellar!
8. What does it mean to you to be a Hokie?
SM: To me, being a Hokie means serving others, putting forth max effort in everything I do, and acting with integrity.